Marathon Monday: Week #16 and Thanksgiving shenanigans

Morning!  I’m sitting at my computer with a giant cup of coffee after having gone to bed way too late.  School starts back today and I for one am ready and not ready.  The kids are at each other a bit but I have so loved not having a schedule, or homework, or games, or practices, or lunches to make.  It’s been awesome.  Anyway, this week I still had some running to do even with everyone home.  I’ve survived 16 weeks of the Hanson’s Method and am officially entering my taper.  Here’s a look at my week according to the schedule:

Monday- easy 5
Tuesday- 4×1.5 800 recovery
Wednesday- off
Thursday- 10 mile tempo
Friday- easy 5
Saturday- easy 8
Sunday- long 10

So for the most part I have stuck to this training plan like glue.  I’ve cut a few runs short here and there and missed a couple days but overall, I’ve stuck to the plan.  Last Sunday I had my last 16 miler.  It was to be my last “long” run.  There are still plenty of 10 miler’s on the schedule.  Anyway, it was rough.  I hit a major wall.  So, Monday’s scheduled run got canceled, by me.  I decided to take liberty with changing the schedule this week.  I literally had not changed one thing the entire process until this week.  I was 3 week’s away and my body had been struggling.  So had my mind.  I decided a little extra rest was exactly what I needed.  So, I skipped my run Monday and headed to the Galleria with Lila and my sister in law and her little girl and my mother in law.  We took the girls to the American Girl Doll store and opened a giant, very expensive I might add, can of worms.  They of course LOVED it.

We had so much fun.  Girls are FUN!
Tuesday we headed to the gym as a family.  I needed to get a strength run in and my husband(who was off ALL week) wanted to do weights and play basketball with the boys once we finished.  I haven’t been on the treadmill much lately but thought it would give my body a little break from pounding the pavement.  I started my run and in the first mile my ankles seized up and I had to stop.  I have tendonitis in both ankles from 16 years of riding horses, 10 of those competitively.  Every once in a while it flares up while I’m running.  Once it does, there is no turning back.  I can stop and walk but as soon as I start running, it comes back.  It makes it impossible to flex my foot and is really painful.  Tuesday, it happened.  I made it 4.5 miles and called it a day.  Most of that was walking.   Oh well.  That afternoon I took the boys ice skating with friends.  We had so much fun!!!!  They loved it.  I thought it had meltdown written all over it but they surprised me.  Sometimes they do that. 

Wednesday I took my scheduled rest day.  I’m just adopting rest as my theme for the next few weeks, even though this isn’t quite in line with Hanson’s.  It’s what my body needs.  So, Wednesday I made French Onion soup and grilled cheese for dinner and enjoyed the time at home with my fam.  We also took the boys to see the new Penguins of Madagascar movie while a friend kept Lila.  We had a blast.  

num num num

I also went grocery shopping, alone, at 7:45 am on Wednesday so I could do some of my cooking and avoid the grocery crowds.  It was genius.  The store was practically empty but well stocked with all the goods.  
Thursday was Thanksgiving.  YAY! One of my favorite days of the year.  It’s filled with food and football, the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade, and nowhere to be.  I decided to switch Thursday and Friday’s runs because my husband was headed to downtown Dallas to do the Turkey Trot and had to leave early.  I wasn’t up for running 10 miles at 4:30am on Thanksgiving, so I ran a quick 5 before he left.  It worked out great.  I sat by the fire, had some time with Jesus and my coffee,  and watched the ENTIRE parade which hasn’t happened…EVER, while breakfast was in the oven and the kids played upstairs.  
 The weather was amazing and in the 60’s which meant tons of time playing outside.  It was a great day…until dinner.  Our meal was a disaster this year.  Lila had a major meltdown over not wanting to sit in a big girl chair, or a high chair..which clearly presents a problem.  I spent 20 minutes sitting in my in laws garage with her while she screamed.  Jake, our oldest, had a massive headache and didn’t feel good.  The minute he said he felt sick to his stomach, we packed up our uneaten desert and ran for the hills.  He went to bed at 7 and woke up fine the next day.  There’s always next year.  I have no pictures of Thanksgiving dinner, this should come as no surprise. 
Friday I did my 10 mile tempo and it was great.  I felt good and well rested which is exactly what I needed.  The weather was awesome and I didn’t have to go too early.  I stuck to my tempo pace and had my last 3 miles at an 8:45 pace and felt great.  
After a hardish 10 mile run I decided I needed to finish painting my laundry room, not smart.  

It felt great to get it done, but climbing a ladder over and over for 2 hours and painting a ceiling were making my legs and body scream.  But, it’s done!!

Saturday we had a great day as a family.  After our Thanksgiving fiasco we needed some redemption to prove we could do fun things without everything going wrong.  We took the kids to our town’s Christmas celebration called Home for the Holidays.  We have an adorable town square that’s a couple miles from our house.  The kids had a blast, and I survived the Death Wheel.

They thought it was hilarious that I was scared for our lives.  Hanging in a basket up in the air with 25 mph winds and swinging doors the size of my foot is not my idea of fun

the day was not complete without a Dora balloon

We went home and I headed out on an easy 4 miler.  I was supposed to do 8 but I cut it back because I felt like it.  I’m rebelling against the system.  Really, I’m just listening to my body.  Friday I worked myself into the ground so I knew I needed to take it easy Saturday.  

Sunday I got up early to do my 10 mile long run before church.  It was an awesome run.  My mind and body both showed up.  While I’m still dealing with some wear and tear from this process(hips and knees and my feet issues), overall I felt great and had to hold back my pace to keep it easy.  
Then we headed to our church’s Deck the Halls service.  I LOVE the candles and the unity it represents.  It’s seriously one of the prettiest things to me.  

So, there you have it.  More than you ever cared to know about my life this week.  It was a fun week filled with family time, warm weather, Christmas decorating,  and calorie consuming fun with only a few meltdowns along the way.  2 weeks until race day and I’m feeling excited and ready to see how this training method has prepared me for what’s to come.  Have an awesome Monday friends!!
How was your Thanksgiving?  Any toddler meltdowns or sick kiddo’s?
How were your long runs or races this weekend?  How bout those Turkey Trot’s?
To read about last week in training, click here.